1. Be prepared to discuss what is bothering you about your breasts, including: breast volume, breast sagginess, asymmetry between the breasts, nipple location and cleavage.
2. Know the options for breast implants, including benefits and risks: silicone implants and saline implants as well as the different types of implants within those types.
3. Be familiar with the choices for breast implant techniques, benefits and risks, including: under the breast crease, through the nipple, under the armpit and through the belly button.
4. Breast implant placement location may be dependent upon the extent of existing breast tissue that is available to cover the breast implant on the patient. There are three choices, including: under the pectoral muscles, partially under the pectoral muscles and over the pectoral muscles.
5. Bring a complete list of medications, over-the-counter drugs, herbs, and supplements that you are taking to the plastic surgeon at least three weeks before you plan to have surgery. Some of these drugs may be required to be discontinued two to three weeks before surgery.
6. Stop smoking at least two weeks before breast augmentation. Know that smoking may play a role in the outcome of your procedure over time.
7. Inquire about the facility that the procedure will be performed in and the type of support you will receive following surgery.
8. Don’t be afraid to ask about the type of board certification that the plastic surgeon has and where the surgeon has hospital privileges to perform procedures.
Once you have asked your plastic surgeon about these items during an initial consultation, you will be able to make a better educated decision about breast augmentation. Plastic surgeons are happy to answer any questions you have to allow you to feel comfortable about your decision for surgery. A full understanding of the benefits, risks and alternatives to the procedure will help establish reasonable expectations for the outcome of the procedure. The beauty of breast augmentation generally results with an enhanced appearance, improved self confidence, increased self-esteem and a boost in social, professional and intimate activities.
To schedule an appointment with George M. Hricko, M.D., call 508-655-7070.